Sunday 11 September 2011

Welcome to the Jammy Designs Blog!

Hi!

Welcome to the Jammy Designs Blog!
I'd like to start this blog with a little introduction and a history of who we are and how we got here.

We are Sandra and Kerrie, a mother and daughter team with over 30 years experience between us of creating colourful and beautiful handmade items!

In the 1970s my mum Sandra went to college to study home economics. In particular she loved dress making and sewing, and these led her into experimenting with knitting and crochet. Soon she started to fill our family home with things she made, from curtains and cushions to Christmas stockings!

In 2008 my mum started knitting and crocheting scarves and hats, which she sold in the shop that she ran at the time. Passers by were drawn in by the colourful and glittery yarns that she used, and often they'd end up buying the item as soon as they felt how warm and cosy they were!

I had always been a creative individual too, and when a couple of my friends announced that they were pregnant, I decided to learn to knit too. I spent the next nine months knitting little jumpers and hats, trying out different stitches and patterns and experimenting with colours and as many yarns as I could find!

In 2011, what started out as a shared hobby began to turn into a business. We started by building up a little bit of stock and trying it out at a local producers market, where our colourful knits got a lot of attention. These weren't dull beige scarves or itchy jumpers - these were bright and fun clothing for all ages. Now we regularly attend a local producers market, and we have our stock in local shops. I think people recognise that our knits are not just different, but they are also made with love and care.

Today we also sell on Etsy. This is more my area than my mum's (I'm still impressed that she's worked out how to check her email by herself!), but I'm happy to take on the online stuff since she does 100% of the crochet and a fair chunk of the knitting!

On this blog I hope to talk about knitting, crochet, and the challenges that we're facing every day as we try and turn this hobby into more of a business. I hope that you'll subscribe to this blog, and keep checking in at our Etsy shop too to see all of our new products and new ideas!

You can find us on Etsy here: Jammy Designs Scotland

And follow us on Twitter: @JammyDesigns

Thanks for reading!

Kerrie

2 comments: